What Is Prolific?
Prolific is an online platform that offers you a legitimate opportunity to earn money when you participate in scientific studies.
The platform allows you to contribute to the advancement of science by taking part in research surveys.
Prolific has attracted over 25,000 users thanks to its unique strategies for recruiting and rewarding participants.
How To Be A Part Of Prolific
Anyone can register and participate in Prolific as it is open worldwide. The registration process is fast and simple, as it only requires your country of origin, birthday, email and name.
Alternatively, you can also register swiftly using your Facebook account. Once registered, you must verify your email address, phone number, or Facebook ID for security reasons.
You then have to undergo pre-screening tests to check on your eligibility for various studies.
How Prolific Works
Prolific works by administering various research studies to eligible members. Researchers post multiple studies on the platform, and Prolific sends out random invitations to eligible members to participate in the surveys.
This platform essentially helps researchers find the right participants for their studies. In return, participants earn cash rewards for completing assigned tasks successfully.
In other to become eligible for research studies, you must complete all pre- screening tests assigned to you. These tests are easy and ask questions revolving around your demographics. I think it took me about half an hour to answer all of the questions.
One beautiful thing about Prolific is that you will never be screened out of a survey once you have already started working on it. You can also delete a submission midway through a survey in case you encounter any problems completing it. This helps in enhancing quality.
After completing and submitting your research findings, you have to wait for 1-3 days for the researcher to review your answers. The researcher has a maximum of 21 days to review your submission, failure to which your submission will be approved, and your account credited automatically.
How Much You Can Earn Using Prolific
You can earn as much as £5 per study. However, most surveys pay between £1 and £4. Compared to other online survey platforms, this is a very reasonable amount.
How Does Prolific Pay?
Prolific pays twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays), and the minimum balance is £5.
However, cashing out at £5 will only attract transaction fees. To minimise transaction fees, it is advisable that you accumulate your earnings to £20 before cashing out with either Circle or PayPal. Circle cash outs are free for amounts above £20.
However, this service is only available in the US and the UK with transaction fees costing 1% plus 10p for payouts below £20.
PayPal transactions are available to all international members with cash out charges standing at 2.9%
Pros of Prolific
- It is a Genuine Research Panel: Prolific is a reputable research platform. The company collaborates with top universities such as Oxford, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, and Cambridge to deliver high quality research data. Furthermore, this platform is free to join, and the company pays promptly twice a week via PayPal.
- High Payouts: Prolific offers high payouts ranging from £1 to £5. This is a reasonable amount compared to what other survey platforms offer. You can make an average of £100 or more per month by providing high quality reviews on various research studies. Considering the high payouts, you can reach the minimum payout threshold within no time.
- Low Minimum Balance Requirement: This platform has a meagre minimum balance of only £5, and you can cash out at any time once you accumulate this amount. However, members are advised to cash out at £20 to avoid excessive transaction charges.
- It has multiple payment options: Prolific offers multiple payment options, including Circle and PayPal. Circle payments are only available in the UK and the US, while PayPal payments are available to all international members.
- Good Referral Program: Referring your friends is an easy way of making extra cash online. You can increase your earnings significantly by referring new members to this platform as Prolific pays you 10% of your referrals first cash out amount.
- No Premature Screenouts: You will only receive invitations for studies that you are eligible, and you cannot be screened out in the middle of a survey.
- Informative Surveys: Research studies are often informative, and they offer you a chance to expand your knowledge on various topics. Furthermore, taking part in research studies can be very interesting.
Cons of Prolific
- Limited Surveys Available: The research studies posted on this platform are often available when university semesters are in session. The number of surveys available reduces as schools break for the holidays, and this might have an impact on your overall earnings.
- Eligibility Issues: Eligibility issues may prevent you from participating in surveys, and you have to go through prescreening tests to qualify for various research studies.
- High Transaction Fees on Payouts below £20: Although the minimum payout threshold is £5, payouts below £20 attract a high transaction fee.
Would I recommend Prolific?
Yes. I do think that you have to check it regularly and you sometimes can be left waiting for new studies to pop up but when they do it is a quick way to earn some extra pounds.
Have you ever used Prolific? Make sure you also check out our Respondent review blog post if you are interested in making money from online surveys!